Can I get a fee waiver for my application fee?
There are no fee waivers available for Deferred Action applications, but the Department of Homeland Security has outlined a few very limited fee exemptions. Requests for an exemption must be filed and approved before an individual files a request for Deferred Action without a fee. In order to be considered for an exemption, you must submit a letter explaining your eligibility and supporting documentation to prove that you meet one of the following conditions:
- You are under 18 and homeless; or
- You are under 18 and in foster care; or
- You are under 18 and lack any financial support from parents or family; or
- You cannot care for yourself because you suffer from a serious, chronic disability; or
- You have, at the time of your request, accumulated $25,000 or more in debt in the past 12 months as a result of unreimbursed medical expenses for yourself or an immediate family member
In all cases, you must also prove that your income is less than 150% of the U.S. poverty level.