Immigration Law Associates
Chicago Lawyer, Attorney: Green Card, H-1B, National Interest Waiver, J-1, Spouse, Fiance, Student Visa, VAWA, Citizenship, Removal, Korean, Polish, Japanese, Spanish

Obtaining a travel document after a grant of Deferred Action

If USCIS decides to defer action in your case and you want to travel abroad, you may apply for a travel document known as an Advance Parole. This document will allow you to return to the U.S. from abroad even though you do not have a valid immigration status. You cannot apply for an Advance Parole at the same time you apply for Deferred Action.

Gaining approval for an Advance Parole is not by any means automatic. You must submit an I-131 Application for a Travel Document, pay a filing fee of $360, and explain the purpose for your international travel. USCIS will then determine whether your purpose is justifiable based on the circumstances you describe.

Generally, the USCIS will only grant Advance Parole if you are traveling for humanitarian, educational or employment purposes. Humanitarian purposes may include providing essential family support, such as visiting an elderly or sick relative, attending a funeral, etc. All Advance Parole requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis and there is no guarantee that an approval will be granted in any specific case.


Contact Us:

(847) 763-8500 via email

Visit Us:

8707 Skokie Blvd., Suite 302
Skokie, IL 60077
(Chicago Metro Area)


Korean, Polish, Spanish
Visa Bulletin Processing Times