Immigration Law Associates
Chicago Lawyer, Attorney: Green Card, H-1B, National Interest Waiver, J-1, Spouse, Fiance, Student Visa, VAWA, Citizenship, Removal, Korean, Polish, Japanese, Spanish

What does “currently in school” mean for a DACA applicant?

To be considered “currently in school” under the DACA guidelines, you must be enrolled in school on the date you submit your DACA application. More specifically, you must be enrolled in:

In certain circumstances, enrollment in an English as a Second Language (ESL) program may qualify as “currently in school”. To qualify, the program must be a requirement for placement in postsecondary education, job training or employment. You must submit documentary evidence that your participation in the ESL program is directly connected to your placement in postsecondary education, job training or employment.

If you are enrolled in an education, literacy or career training program, including an ESL program, you must show that you are actually working toward future placement in college, job training or employment.

DHS prefers that you attend a program funded by Federal or State grants. Programs funded by other sources mayqualify if they are administered by providers of “demonstrated effectiveness”, such as community colleges and some community-based organizations. In assessing the effectiveness of a program, DHS will consider the following factors:

Please note that proving the effectiveness of a program not funded by Federal or State grants is entirely your responsibility.


Contact Us:

(847) 763-8500 via email

Visit Us:

8707 Skokie Blvd., Suite 302
Skokie, IL 60077
(Chicago Metro Area)


Korean, Polish, Spanish
Visa Bulletin Processing Times