Immigration Law Associates
Chicago Lawyer, Attorney: Green Card, H-1B, National Interest Waiver, J-1, Spouse, Fiance, Student Visa, VAWA, Citizenship, Removal, Korean, Polish, Japanese, Spanish

K-1 Visas for Fiancees of US Citizens


K-1 Visas fiancé fiancée U.S. citizens immigration attorney lawyer Chicago spouse children enter marry conditional permanent residence 90 day period coupleThe K nonimmigrant classification is available for certain spouses and children of U.S. citizens. The K-1 visa permits the fiancée of a U.S. citizen to enter the United States for a ninety (90)-day period in order to marry the U.S. citizen/petitioner and apply for conditional permanent residence.

An eligible fiancée of a U.S citizen will be classified as K-1. An eligible child of the U.S. citizen and foreign fiancée will be classified as K-2.

The USCIS will give aliens granted admission to the United States in the K nonimmigrant classification a 90 day period within which to marry the U.S. citizen petitioner. Because the K visa is a non- immigrant classification yet is one that is designed to facilitate the immigrant admission of an intending fiancée and/or child, if the K-1 fiancée marries his/her U.S. citizen petitioner, the K-1 visa holder can remain in the United States and apply for adjustment of status to conditional permanent resident.

Elements of K-1 Visas:

Important K Visa Concepts

It is extremely difficult to coordinate marriage plans with obtaining a visa to enter the United States. Where a couple intends to marry often impacts which visa category to choose. It is therefore very important to consult with an immigration attorney on these very important details.

Contact Us:

(847) 763-8500 via email

Visit Us:

8707 Skokie Blvd., Suite 302
Skokie, IL 60077
(Chicago Metro Area)


Korean, Polish, Spanish
Visa Bulletin Processing Times