Immigration Law Associates
Chicago Lawyer, Attorney: Green Card, H-1B, National Interest Waiver, J-1, Spouse, Fiance, Student Visa, VAWA, Citizenship, Removal, Korean, Polish, Japanese, Spanish

212(e) 2 Year Foreign Residency Requirement

Under the Immigration and Nationality Act 212(e), the J-1 visa holder cannot change his or her status in the U.S., obtain H, L, K visas or lawful permanent residence until he or she has returned to his/her home country for at least two years, or received a waiver of that requirement. Such waivers can be obtained under five separate bases: Exceptional Hardship or Persecution, Conrad Program, Interested Government Agency, or No Objection Statement (Not available to Physicians).


Contact Us:

(847) 763-8500 via email

Visit Us:

8707 Skokie Blvd., Suite 302
Skokie, IL 60077
(Chicago Metro Area)


Korean, Polish, Spanish
Visa Bulletin Processing Times