Call us: (847) 763-8500
Select Language

Immigration Law Associates, P.C. logo

M Visa for Vocational Students


Students who wish to attend vocational or non-academic training programs, may be eligible for an M-1 visa if they:

  • Have a foreign residence which they do not intend to abandon;
  • Have been admitted on a full-time basis to a USCIS-approved educational institution in the U.S. in a vocational or other nonacademic program;
  • Obtained SEVIS I-20 Form and payment of SEVIS fee;
  • Can demonstrate proficiency in English or enrollment in courses leading to English proficiency;
  • Have ability to support themselves during the entire course of study.

Working While on a M-1 Student Visa

Employment is not allowed while studying on the M-1 Visa. However, an application for practical training in the field of study can be available after studies are complete. If practical training is approved, M-1 students can receive 1 month of training for every 4 months spent studying, not to exceed six months.

M-2 Visas for Spouse and Minor Children of M-1 Student

The spouse and minor children of the M-1 student may join the student in the U.S. The spouse of the M-1 student may not attend school or be employed. Children on the M-2 are eligible to attend school from elementary through 12th grade. Additionally, those in M-2 status are not prohibited to changing to F or H status.

M-3 Student Visas for Canadian and Mexican Nationals

Commuter students from Canada and Mexico may attend school in the U.S. on either a full-time or part-time basis, as long as they do not reside in the U.S. and the school is within 75 miles of the U.S. border.