Call us: (847) 763-8500
Select Language

Immigration Law Associates, P.C. logo

The P Visa Category for Athletes, Entertainment Groups, & Artists

P-1 Visa

The P-1 visa is intended for: 1) internationally recognized athletes; 2) members of an internationally recognized athletic team; and 3) members of an internationally recognized entertainment group coming to perform and/or compete in the United States. In support of P-1 petitions, foreign nationals must submit copies of their international awards, certificates of accomplishment, and photographs documenting their activities and accomplishments. In addition, a consultation discussing their ability from a U.S. labor organization is required. For entertainment groups, the petition should include documentation that the group is internationally recognized as outstanding in the discipline for a sustained and substantial period of time in the form of awards, reviews, articles, advertisements, contracts, etc.

P-2 Visa

The P-2 visa is for those coming to the United States to perform under a reciprocal exchange program. Some of the required P-2 documentation includes a copy of the formal reciprocal exchange agreement between the U.S. organization(s) sponsoring the foreign national and the organization(s) in a foreign country and a statement from the sponsoring organization describing the reciprocal exchange of U.S. artists or entertainers as it relates to the specific petition for which classification is sought.

P-3 Visa

The P-3 visa allows artists to come to the U.S. solely to perform, teach, or coach under a program that is culturally unique. The required documentation for this visa includes: affidavits or testimonials regarding the beneficiaries' skills and the cultural uniqueness of the entertainment, a consultation from the appropriate labor union, and evidence that all performances in the engagement are cultural in nature. P-3 visas are approved with a validity period only necessary to complete the event or activity, and not to exceed one year.

P-4 Visa

The family members (spouse and unmarried children under 21) of the principal alien are classified in the P-4 category. They cannot engage in employment in the U.S. unless they are independently qualified to obtain employment authorization.


Immigration Law Associates, P.C. has had many P visa success stories and our attorneys are knowledgeable in the P visa requirements. For example, we have obtained approvals for international Taekwondo athletes, internationally recognized bands, culturally unique cabaret performances and critically acclaimed theatrical productions. Please call our Chicago-based immigration attorneys at 847-763-8500 to schedule a consultation to discuss your visa options.