Immigration Law Associates
Chicago Lawyer, Attorney: Green Card, H-1B, National Interest Waiver, J-1, Spouse, Fiance, Student Visa, VAWA, Citizenship, Removal, Korean, Polish, Japanese, Spanish

Can the TN Applicant’s Family Accompany Him to the U.S.?

The TN applicant's spouse and children under 21 may be eligible for NAFTA dependent, or TD, nonimmigrant status which allows them to accompany or follow to join the principal applicant in the U.S.  In order to qualify for TD nonimmigrant status, the spouse and children must provide proof of a bona fide spousal and parent-child relationship to the principal applicant.  While the principal applicant's spouse and children may accompany him, they cannot work while in the U.S.  They are, however, permitted to study in U.S.

Canadian Citizen's Dependents
The Canadian citizen's spouse and children who are themselves Canadian citizens do not require visas to enter the U.S.  However, they must provide the following documentation at the port of entry:

If the principal TN applicant's spouse and children are not Canadian citizens, they must apply for visas in order to accompany or join the principal TN applicant in the U.S.

Mexican Citizen's Dependents
The spouse and children of Mexican citizens must apply for TD nonimmigrant visas at a U.S. embassy or consulate.  


How Can an Applicant Apply for TN Status if Already in the U.S.?

H-1B v. TN - Weighing The Options

TN Home


Contact Us:

(847) 763-8500 via email

Visit Us:

8707 Skokie Blvd., Suite 302
Skokie, IL 60077
(Chicago Metro Area)


Korean, Polish, Spanish
Visa Bulletin Processing Times