Immigration Law Associates
Chicago Lawyer, Attorney: Green Card, H-1B, National Interest Waiver, J-1, Spouse, Fiance, Student Visa, VAWA, Citizenship, Removal, Korean, Polish, Japanese, Spanish

How Can an Applicant Apply for TN Status if Already in the U.S.?

If the Canadian or Mexican citizen is already in the United States in another nonimmigrant classification (e.g., F-1, H-1B, etc.), he may elect to file an application (Form I-129) with USCIS to change his status to TN, without traveling outside the United States.  Under these circumstances, the applicant must be maintaining a valid nonimmigrant status to be eligible for a change of status, and must wait until the change of status is approved before he begins employment in TN status.

If a Mexican citizen changes to TN status while in the U.S., the next time he leaves the U.S., he must obtain a TN or TD visa before returning to the U.S. to resume work in TN status.


H-1B v. TN - Weighing The Options

TN Home


Contact Us:

(847) 763-8500 via email

Visit Us:

8707 Skokie Blvd., Suite 302
Skokie, IL 60077
(Chicago Metro Area)


Korean, Polish, Spanish
Visa Bulletin Processing Times