Immigration Law Associates
Chicago Lawyer, Attorney: Green Card, H-1B, National Interest Waiver, J-1, Spouse, Fiance, Student Visa, VAWA, Citizenship, Removal, Korean, Polish, Japanese, Spanish

Entry and Stay on an M-1 Visa

A. Students may enter the U.S. a maximum of 30 days prior to the start of their program;


B. Once admitted to the U.S., M-1 students are allowed to stay for a limited time period. They are allowed the time necessary to complete course of study and practical training, plus an additional thirty days, not to exceed a total of one year;


C. Students on the M-1 visa may apply for extensions that add up to 3 years from the original start date, plus an additional thirty days.


D. M-1 visa students cannot change their status to F academic student visa. Additionally, M-1 students cannot change their status to H visa if their M training helped them qualify for H classification.


E. A student may become out of status if the student works without authorization, falls below full-time without permission, transfers without permission, fails to complete his course of study and is ineligible for extension, or has left the U.S. for more than five months.

Contact Us:

(847) 763-8500 via email

Visit Us:

8707 Skokie Blvd., Suite 302
Skokie, IL 60077
(Chicago Metro Area)


Korean, Polish, Spanish
Visa Bulletin Processing Times