Immigration Law Associates
Chicago Lawyer, Attorney: Green Card, H-1B, National Interest Waiver, J-1, Spouse, Fiance, Student Visa, VAWA, Citizenship, Removal, Korean, Polish, Japanese, Spanish

M Student Visa

Requirements for the M-1 Visa

immigration attorney lawyer chicago student m-1 uscis i-20 sevis english community college vocational business school language canada mexico

Full-Time Studies

Students must attend school full-time as follows:

M-2 Visas for Spouse and Minor Children of M-1 Student

The spouse and minor children of the M-1 student may join the student in the U.S. The spouse of the M-1 student may not attend school or be employed. Children on the M-2 are eligible to attend school from elementary through 12th grade. Additionally, those in M-2 status are not prohibited to changing to F or H status.

M-3 Student Visas for Canadian and Mexican Nationals

Commuter students from Canada and Mexico may attend school in the U.S. on either a full-time or part-time basis, as long as they do not reside in the U.S. and the school is within 75 miles of the U.S. border. M-3 students are subject to the same reporting and requirement processes as M-1 students. Border commuter students do not receive duration of stay and are not allowed to obtain M-2 status for dependants.

Entry and Stay on an M-1 Visa

Working While on an M-1 Visa

Changing From B-2 and Other Status

Important Considerations for the M-1 Visa

Contact Us:

(847) 763-8500 via email

Visit Us:

8707 Skokie Blvd., Suite 302
Skokie, IL 60077
(Chicago Metro Area)


Korean, Polish, Spanish
Visa Bulletin Processing Times