Immigration Law Associates
Chicago Lawyer, Attorney: Green Card, H-1B, National Interest Waiver, J-1, Spouse, Fiance, Student Visa, VAWA, Citizenship, Removal, Korean, Polish, Japanese, Spanish

M visa for vocational students


Students who wish to attend vocational or non-academic training programs, may be eligible for an M-1 visa if they:

Working While on a M-1 Student Visa

Employment is not allowed while studying on the M-1 Visa. However, an application for practical training in the field of study can be available after studies are complete. If practical training is approved, M-1 students can receive 1 month of training for every 4 months spent studying, not to exceed six months.

M-2 Visas for Spouse and Minor Children of M-1 Student

The spouse and minor children of the M-1 student may join the student in the U.S. The spouse of the M-1 student may not attend school or be employed. Children on the M-2 are eligible to attend school from elementary through 12th grade. Additionally, those in M-2 status are not prohibited to changing to F or H status.

M-3 Student Visas for Canadian and Mexican Nationals

Commuter students from Canada and Mexico may attend school in the U.S. on either a full-time or part-time basis, as long as they do not reside in the U.S. and the school is within 75 miles of the U.S. border.


Contact Us:

(847) 763-8500 via email

Visit Us:

8707 Skokie Blvd., Suite 302
Skokie, IL 60077
(Chicago Metro Area)


Korean, Polish, Spanish
Visa Bulletin Processing Times